Monday, March 14, 2011

In a generation full of slackers....

On Friday, it was my privilege to attend Adam's Grandpa's funeral with him. In most occasion, I would not consider attending a funeral a privilege. However, on this occasion, it truly was. The message touched me very deep and is the reason for this blog. The message was about work. Not just work but hard work. Adam's Grandpa was 92 years old and when the pastor asked friends and family how they would sum him up, everyone mentioned what a hard worker he had been his entire life. Many of us can not even begin to imagine what it would be like to provide for a family of 7 in the depression days. Most of us have no idea what it is like to work for everything we have now.

In a generation full of slackers, I am so thankful that I have been given a strong work ethic. I began working when I was 14 years old. I waited tables for the first part of my Freshman year of high school. Later that year I started working at Dairy Queen close to 20 hours a week. I worked at Dairy Queen (not the same one since we had a tornado that destroyed ours my Sophomore year) all through high school. The main reason I worked was because I wanted to take Dance and Voice lessons and my parents could not afford to pay for it for me. I also bought all my own clothes, shoes, put gas in my car and paid for any other activity I wanted to be a part of.

I have never been handed anything. I am very proud of the fact that everything I have is mine. I do not have any credit card debt or owe anyone money. And though I do not have new clothes every season or have all new furniture or a brand new car, I am satisfied. What I do have is my strong work ethic, love and passion for the career I have chosen. I have no doubt that someday all of these things will pay off and I won't owe anyone anything except for maybe my parents for not raising a slacker!

1 comment: