Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What It Means To Me To Be A Hairstylist

For a long time I let the stereotype of hairstylists bother me. If you are not aware of that stereotype, let me tell you,it is that all of us are stupid and we aren't smart enough to go to college. What a horrible opinion to have of a large group of people. I think I let it bother me for so long because I did go to college for a semester first and I just simply did not want to be there. So with encouragement from my roommate I decided to leave at the end of the semester and go to Cosmetology school. I then enrolled at two different Cosmetology schools before the second one was a good fit for me. My parents continued to express their concern that I was never going to finish anything and that maybe I needed to go to a community college until I figured out what I wanted to do. The thing is, I am not stupid. I never struggled in school. In fact, I never studied a day in my life and I was always on the Honor Roll.

As we progressed through my cosmetology program, we started talking about educators and platform artists. Instantly, I knew that that is where I would belong. I have always loved being in front of people and sharing what I know. Then as I got on to the floor at school and actually started working on clients instead of mannequins, I realized I had a natural talent for doing hair.

My career as a hairstylist has been all over the map. I have worked in 6 different salons and with many types of hairstylists. Some that have inspired me to better myself and some that have inspired me to never be like them. I have to say the salon where I learned the most was the first salon I worked at here in Lawrence. The owner had been an educator for Redken for 8 years and the manager was a nationally board certified colorist. This is where I really learned how to cut hair. I was an apprentice for 9 months under the owner, which basically meant I did everything but cut and color hair. Even though I wasn't actually touching the hair, I was watching everyone's movement like a hawk. I wanted to know why and how they were doing what they were doing. The owner was an incredible hair cutter. She also introduced me via DVD's to Chris Baran and Sam Villa. (Who I have now met both in person) And the manager taught me everything I know about hair color. I gained great confidence in my skills at this salon but was still very unsure about what other people would think of me because I was "just a hairstylist".

Let's skip over a few years of floundering and soul searching and fast forward to 2 years ago when I decided I wanted to be an educator for Pureology. Honestly, I was not in the place to audition. My clientele wasn't and still isn't where I would like it to be, but I knew if I didn't do it then, I never would. This is possibly the best decision I have ever made in my life. Through my orientation into Pureology, I met one of my very best friends Andi Scarbrough. I cannot thank her enough for what a source of inspiration she has been to me. Since I have been with Pureology, I have had the opportunity to meet, share and learn from the best in our industry. In a little over a month, I will be in Boca Raton, FL for our yearly training along with 200+ PureArtists. While I am there, I will also be taking the Redken Certified Haircolorists Exam. The exam takes an entire day from 9-5. It includes a multiple choice section which covers all the principles and chemistry of haircolor as well as knowing the different color lines and families. The next section is a scenario essay, which includes the how to of haircoloring and giving step by step instructions of how to formulate and achieve each hair color. The last portion is the practical part. We have to complete several different haircolor applications in a timely matter. Even though the test is 5 1/2 weeks away I have already been studying a significant amount. I want to walk away from the test without any doubt that I passed. (Which is an 80% on both written parts and 85% on the practical) I also hope Andi is standing outside the door with a strong cocktail the minute I finish my test. I will be there for 3 more days after my test to brush up on my cutting and styling techniques with our Artistic Directors for Pureology. I cannot wait to be in Boca with my Pureology family. They are a constant source of inspiration for me.

Recently, I have been teaching quite a few classes for Pureology. I am so excited to be able to go into other salons and share what I know and love about Pureology with them. I love being able to see them learn new things that I know that they will pass on to their clients and help them have a more successful career.

A friend of mine (who I met through cutting his hair)recently said to me, "I never thought you were just a hairstylist. I knew you were educated and passionate since the first time I met you." This was honestly the best compliment I have ever received. At dinner the other night he said, "You have what is called a super passion, a lot of people don't have that. A lot of people just go through their life and work jobs that they hate to pay the bills. You get to do something you love and that you are good at everyday." That is what it truly means to me to be a hairstylist, doing something I love and continuing to grow and learn everyday. With the recent passing of Vidal Sassoon, I realize how much I can touch the lives of others. I can only hope to have half as much of an impact on my profession as he did. I am not a hairsylist because I gave up or because I was not smart enough to go to college. I am a hairstylist because I cannot imagine doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment