Sunday, August 21, 2011

Why I don't attend church....

I have been meaning to write about this for a long time but have never had the courage to really put it out there although I am sure most of my close friends understand why I feel this way. A lot of things have come up in my life lately that really remind me why I don't have a strong belief in the church anymore and why I have chosen to take a different path.
I will start by saying this is not a slam to those who do believe and chose to go to church, I have just realized it is not me or something I want to be a part of.

Growing up I was in church with my family every Sunday and Wednesday of my life and went to church camp every summer. I believed in God and everything they were saying. Even through my tough teenage years I believed that God was the answer for all my problems. I was always told that God equaled love and no matter what, he would always love you. And as a Christian we were not to judge others. As I grew up and was out on my own in the World, I began to realize that for the most part the "Christians" I knew were some of the most unloving and judge-mental people I had ever met.
I really realized this in the first salon I worked for where the owner talked about how good of a Christian she was all the time but did not have any actions to back it up. She was one of the most horrible people I have ever come across. On a daily basis she would tear down her employees and pray for money. How does that say "Christian".
The more I grew into myself I discovered that I had really liberal beliefs, many of those beliefs are not accepted among Christians. I hang out with and love gay people, I have pre-marital sex, I drink on a regular basis and so on. But to be a part of the church I am told that I need to walk away from these acts. What if I don't want to? What if I feel that is who I really am? I was told that you would love me no matter what but now that "love" seems very conditional. We will love you if you walk away from your "sin".
I feel that Christianity uses a lot of shame to guilt people into being someone else. I feel like I could have lived a much happier life if I would have walked away from that shame a long time ago. Sure, I know that some of the things I have done were "wrong" but what good does it do to hold on to it and constantly have people remind you that you are a sinner?
I want to wake up each day knowing that I am a good person and I can make a difference in someone's life everyday without feeling the shame of "not living a Godly lifestyle".

No comments:

Post a Comment